Not to be confused with the website that helps Israelites get laid, JDatE is short for John Dies at the End, the beloved cult horror novel by David Wong. READ THAT SH*T! Fittingly, cult film director Don Coscarelli (Bubba Ho-Tep, The Phantasm movies) has been at work long and hard (lolz!) getting the film adaptation made. It is being filmed independently and thus, does not yet have a specific release date (and yet, Hollywood can’t wait to pinch off another Adam Sandler loaf right on America’s collective chest). Trailer after the jump.
Anyway, allow me to drop any pretense of professionalism*: OMG SO EXCITED YOU GUYZ! OMFGLOLZ! No, but seriously, this is one of the best books I’ve ever read. It’s incredibly odd (read: imaginative), hilarious, and genuinely creepy. It reads like Douglas Adams but with a slowly creeping Lovecraftian terror that eventually permeates everything, including the humor.
I won’t talk about the story, but nothing about this trailer has tampered my excitement. The guys playing David and John appear to be capable and charismatic leads, every scene shown is straight out of the book, and Coscarelli might be weird enough to pull this off. I’ve never seen Bubba Ho-Tep, but Phantasm is the sh*t. It features shocking violence, an oddball sense of humor, and inter-dimensional travel. Hell, that just sounds like good practice for JDatE.
Below is the trailer and some stray observations (possible spoilers for those not familiar with the book).
- The first words spoken in the trailer are the first paragraph in the book
- Soy Sauce
- Detective “Morgan Freeman” definitely looks to be losing it.
- Meat Monster!
- Wig Monster!
- Having Doug Jones (aka The Pale Man from Pan’s Labyrinth) play Roger North is nothing short of brilliant.
- Those are some creepy-ass masks worn by the alternate universe people.
- Also, those who pause the video at certain parts to observe any stray details will be rewarded with some sweet boobage at the creepy mask part.
- Clancy Brown being all slick and badass.
- I am obligated to mention this every time he is mentioned: Clancy Brown (the d*ckhole head guard in The Shawshank Redemption) does the voice of Mr Krabs on “Spongebob Squarepants”. I can’t get over that.
- SKULL MASKS AND FLAMETHROWERS! *air guitar*
- Me with a bone-whoops! That’s not in the video! *laughs nervously, grabs throw pillow*